Friday 14 September 2018

Loon Lake

I was heading to Dickson Lake. But then at the intersection of Ash Main and Ash 286 I encountered a sign and a gate. The gate was open but the sign said it was private land and no access was permitted beyond that point without permission. So I turned around.

Why this sign is in place is unclear. Dickson Lake, and those nearby it, have been open to the public for the last 20 years I have been bringing my children and others here. Perhaps it is now restricted because of the wildfires in the summer, or because of vandalism and dumping? I would appreciate it is any reader knows and can provide info in the comments below.

When I got to Loon Lake, there was a sign there too. This one was created by hand, presumably by a concerned citizen, saying that Island Timberlands is considering closing access to Lost Lake because of vandalism and garbage.

Sigh.

Here is what you look across to when you first arrive at Loon Lake:


It is a beautiful little lake, which, unfortunately, has been heavily used (and abused) for many years because of it's quick access off of highway 4A. In fact, I've come here three times over the years and each time went elsewhere because there were so many people here. 


There is a resident beaver (see lodge above), and near the beaver lodge on the day I was there a Piliated Woodpecker.


I paddled around the lake, taking it very slowly and snapping off lots of photos. It is a tiny lake really, but almost every inch of shoreline is picturesque.


The point on the far side of the lake is particularly lovely, especially in the early autumn colours.






The lake is watched over by the impressive rise of Mt Horn.



There are fish in the lake, but the lone angler I saw on the day I was there went home empty handed. I wasn't fishing myself, just repairing my soul in the tranquil setting.

The Loon Lake trail is worth a walk, it circumnavigates the lake in a large loop that includes forest, logged off areas, marshy areas, and a train track.

I wish that logging could be constrained a little more around such places of beauty, but beauty is not a valuable resource to the land owners. I feel sad about it.

Lets hope that this spot is not locked up. Maybe the yahoos who despoil such places should be instead!

1 comment: